(WellnessPursuits.com) – Beets! You probably hated them as a kid, and maybe even still do, but what if they could improve your health and well-being? Beet juice is being touted as the newest super drink, but is it just a passing fad?
Common beets, which are actually beetroot, are the red bulbous roots of beet plants and beetroot juices are soaring to new heights as super healthy drink choices. While the pros seem to be many and the cons very few, if you already have a beet phobia, adding fresh beet juice to your diet could be tricky. Don’t despair. There are capsules you can buy just about anywhere.
Pros to Convert the Beet Bashers
Researchers and dietitians have discovered numerous nutritional compounds in beet juice. Among them are minerals, like calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, cooper and zinc. Beets are a good source of protein and fiber.
They contain Niacin, Thiamin Riboflavin, folic acid, various B vitamins and vitamins A, C and E. Previous (and ongoing) research further indicates the nutrients in beets promote healthy results and help solidify this veggie’s superfood claims.
- Heart Beets – Your body converts the naturally occurring nitrates found in beets to nitric oxide, which helps improve blood flow and lower blood pressure.
- Brain Food – These same nitrites and improved blood flow can positively impact the effects of dementia.
- Beet Cancer – The deep crimson color in beets comes from powerful phytonutrients that, along with the betacyanin found in beets, helps fight multi-organ cancerous tumor formations.
- Diabetes Support – Those same phytonutrients lowers your blood sugar.
- Endurance/Stamina – Beet juice gives your next athletic workout a boost.
- Antioxidant & Inflammation Fighter – Betaine, a nutrient found in beets, helps protect cells, enzymes and proteins from environmental stress and works as an anti-inflammatory.
- Beet Detox – Beets support detoxification, including helping purify your blood and liver.
- Beets Make You Happy – Betaine doesn’t just fight inflammation and free radicals, it also helps fight the blues. Beets also contain tryptophan (found in chocolate), which contributes to your sense of well-being.
Cons — The Taste:
Probably the biggest disadvantage beets have to overcome is the taste. Some call the taste earthy, while others simply say they taste like dirt. Maybe like those who claim cilantro tastes like soap, you’re genetically predisposed to hate beets and they really do taste like dirt to you.
Beets do seem to have numerous potential health benefits with very few drawbacks. If you can’t choke them down, then consider getting your beets through easy to swallow capsules.
While it’s better to get your nutrients from food and there are oodles of recipes specifically geared towards beet haters, and don’t forget, beet supplements are available for those who can’t overcome their beet aversion.
Copyright 2019 – WellnessPursuits.com