(WellnessPursuits.com) – As time goes on and we’re finding ourselves continuing to be restricted to sheltering in place in our homes, it’s becoming evident that we need to do something to keep our muscles somewhat busy.
Regardless of your age or current level of fittness, by the time your day is over, the last thing you probably want to do is yet another jog around your family room.
These 5 Exercise are Easy to Do from a Chair
We’ve done some digging and found a bunch of great exercises you can do sitting down. This means you can sneak them in while you’re watching television, reading or just hanging. Take a few minutes to give one or two a try.
- Leg Circles: Begin by sitting upright with one leg bent and the other sticking straight out. Make slow, small circles with your straight leg. Gently increase the size of your circles, switching directions after 30 seconds. After another 30 seconds, switch legs and repeat.
- Buttock Squeezes: This one is really easy. While sitting, tighten your buttock muscles, squeezing as hard as you can. Hold the squeeze for several seconds. Release and repeat until you’ve done the exercise for a full minute.
- The Alphabet: Shift your body to the edge of your eat and lift one leg so that your toes are just barely touching the floor. Draw each letter of the alphabet on the floor with your toes, making large letters. When you’re finished, reverse the position of your foot and do it again with your heel instead. Repeat with the other foot.
- Knee Raises: Sit upright with your feet flat on the floor. Lift one knee as far as you can and point your toes down. Lower and repeat with your other leg. Alternate between legs for one minute. For an added challenge, lift both knees at the same time.
- Leg Raises with a Press: Begin seated upright, with your toes pointed and legs straight. Lift one leg, bent at the knee, and then extend it straight out as far as you can. Hold the leg in the extended position for four seconds before bringing the leg back to a bent position and lowering it to the ground again. Alternate between legs for one minute. Add to the challenge by living and extending both legs together.
It’s sure not easy or in many cases, not even possible to get in a full workout these days. It’s also likely to find ourselves forced to sit for long periods of time throughout our day. Thanks to great, effective exercises we can do while sitting, we can integrate these quick and easy moves into our day without committing to a lengthy routine or needing to go anywhere outside the home. Give them a try! What do you have to lose?
Copyright 2020, WellnessPursuits.com