(WellnessPursuits.com) – With the holidays fast approaching, you’re probably going to find yourself striving to look your very best. Life gets busy during this time of year, and it’s easy to lose focus when it comes to keeping your skin hydrated and healthy. You may even find you have some habits you don’t realize might be causing more harm than good. The good news? We have some simple hacks to help you keep your complexion healthy from Halloween through the New Year and beyond.
- Change your pillowcases. Change those babies out at least once a week, if not twice, to keep yourself from sleeping on accumulated bacteria and dirt. For extra benefit, switch to silk. The material will keep your evening skincare products from absorbing into your pillow, giving them more time to work on your face.
- Zap those zits — with salt.. Salt is known for its antibacterial properties, and it can work wonders on those inconvenient zits that love to pop up during the holidays. Mix a little sea salt with enough water to make a paste. Dot it on the spot and let it dry (limit dry time to 10 minutes if you have sensitive skin; up to an hour otherwise); then rinse it off.
- Fix up those brows. Running short on time? Pay attention to your eyebrows. Grab an inexpensive spoolie brush and comb them back, working from the outside edge of your eye in towards the nose. Then use a few gentle swipes of a brow pencil to fill in any gaps.
- Swipe a toilet seat cover. Ok, a coffee filter will work, too. Why? You can use either to gently blot excess oil from your face in an emergency. And they’re far less expensive than commercial blotting paper.
- Prep your skin in advance. It’s important to keep moving to avoid holiday weight gain, but you may find yourself stuck in another oil/zit cycle. Grab a packet of salicylic acid wipes and use one before your workout. Quickly unclogging your pores will keep sweat from getting trapped and irritating your skin.
- Choose your foundation wisely. Avoid foundations that have either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. They’re both great in sunscreen, but they’ll make your holiday photos look a little ashy. If you do use a foundation with those ingredients, you can compensate by using a little bronzer or a contouring powder.
- Add a little glow. Is your summer tan too faded? Take a little bit of bronzer and mix it into your favorite body lotion. Just a bit will give your complexion a little bit of color without the need to head out to a tanning bed.
- Go easy on the holiday makeup. Some of us tend to go overboard on the smokey eye, bright lipstick and foundation when getting ready for holiday gatherings. Use a lighter hand to prevent sudden breakouts. If you do go big, remove your makeup as soon as you can and be prepared to address breakouts and redness the following day.
- Watch out for cheap makeup products. Let’s face it, beauty products can be expensive. But take heed when grabbing inexpensive makeup or brands that are on sale — especially if you’re creating a full-face look for Halloween. Cheap costume makeup, and some drug-store brands, contain ingredients that can clog your pores, dry out your skin and wreak havoc on sensitive skin areas.
It doesn’t matter if you’re dressing up for Halloween, preparing for a family photoshoot, or heading to a holiday party. These tips are sure to leave you with healthy, glowing skin from now through the New Year!
~Here’s to Your Healthy Pursuits!
Copyright 2019, WellnessPursuits.com