(WellnessPursuits.com) – Mosquitoes are not only an irritating nuisance, but they can also be a health risk. They carry hundreds of infectious diseases, some of which could be deadly. While store-bought repellants are usually effective, they contain chemicals that can be bad for people, animals and the environment.
If you’re trying to find some natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes, then you’ve come to the right place. Here are the best 10 ways to make mosquitoes buzz off:
- Coffee Grounds – The powerful odor of coffee grounds can drive mosquitoes away. The scent is even stronger if you burn the coffee grounds. You can also pour coffee grounds into any stagnant water in your yard. When you do that, the mosquito eggs will come up to the surface of the water and die because they are deprived of oxygen.
- Citronella Oil – This essential oil repels these pesky insects by masking the carbon dioxide and lactic acid scents that draw them. You can apply the oil to your skin, but first, add six drops to every ounce of a carrier oil (e.g. coconut oil). Another option is to make a citronella and water insect repellent spray by adding 10-15 drops of citronella oil to every ounce of water. You might also consider buying a citronella candle.
- Camphor – Burning camphor, a strong-smelling compound derived from a tree extract, also helps. For best results, close all of the doors and windows and light the camphor. Leave the room for around 30 minutes. When you return, you’ll find no more mosquitoes.
- Pinion Wood – Pinion wood is commonly used for outdoor fireplaces. When you burn pinion wood, it kills mosquitoes almost instantly.
- Lavender Oil – The scent of lavender essential oil makes it an effective mosquito repellent. You can spray lavender oil (diluted in water) into the room, or apply it to your skin (using a carrier oil) to prevent mosquito bites.
- Rosemary – Burning a few stalks of rosemary will get rid of mosquitoes. You can burn rosemary inside or in the backyard.
- Mint – You can place fresh mint or mint oil around your home to keep mosquitoes away. To keep the pests out of your yard, try growing some mint shrubs.
- Tea Tree Oil – Research has found that tea tree oil will get rid of mosquitoes. Create a spray by mixing a few drops of the tea tree oil in water. You can also spray it on to your skin to keep the mosquitoes from biting you.
- Beer and alcohol – Mosquitoes hate the odor of beer and alcohol. The next time that you grab a beer out of the fridge grab two and leave one of them open in the room to keep the mosquitoes away.
- Garlic – To use garlic to get rid of mosquitoes, crush a few cloves and then boil them in water. Once it’s cooled, pour the garlic water into a spray bottle and spray the mixture around the room. It will kill the mosquitoes instantly.
These 10 home remedies are all excellent at killing or repelling mosquitoes. All of them will keep you from getting mosquito bites. In addition to these natural repellants, there are some common sense things you can do to prevent bites. If you are camping outdoors, you should always sleep under a mosquito net. You should also get rid of any stagnant water in your environment. And finally, be sure to keep your windows and doors closed at night.
~Here’s to Your Healthy Pursuits!
Copyright 2020, WellnessPursuits.com